Monday, June 16, 2008

Judge Mike Goulding, Toledo Municipal Court

Judge Mike Goulding was appointed to Toledo Municipal Court in January 2007 and successfully campaigned for the seat last fall. In the overwhelmingly Democratic district, Judge Goulding (a Republican) beat a long-time countywide office holder (another Republican) and a Democrat.

Judge Goulding maintains a website with periodic updates, available here.

He recently took the time to answer a few questions:

_____________________________________________________________

1. When / why did you decide to pursue a career in public service?
I first attempted to pursue public office in 2004, running for State Representative. I had been a Page at the Ohio House while in college at Ohio State, and was familiar with the workings of that body. The party's candidate for that seat had to withdraw, and I was solicited by Mark Wagoner and Speaker-apparent Jon Husted to run. After that campaign, I turned my attention to the judiciary, and ran for judge of our common pleas court, again filling a void created by another candidate who decided at the last moment not to run as he had pledged. I was appointed to my current position in January, 2007, and won election to the same seat this past November. I grew up in a politically aware family, and have been interested in politics and public office for many years. I believe my private sector experience brings a lot to my work as a public servant.

2. Describe your campaign and / or the process it took to get elected to Municipal Court Judge.
I was appointed to the seat in January, and immediately mounted my campaign to retain the seat in the November election following. I recruited a highly talented core campaign team, and executed a campaign plan involving direct contact with voters. We earned the endorsement of critical labor unions. The Blade endorsed me over my two opponents. We ran PSAs, radio and tv commercials, and some print advertising. We knocked on over 25,000 voters' doors. We had a dedicated volunteer group, and support from the local and state party. We had a good deal of crossover support from Democrats. We raised and spent money.

3. What advice do you have for young people looking to get involved in politics? (Where to start, etc.)
I would suggest that a young person interested in politics begin by becoming involved in a campaign for a candidate at any level. Realize that the work is not glamorous, that it is often tedious and time consuming. Research important issues. Also, remember to maintain your dignity; campaigns come and go, and some are won, some lost. Persevere.

_____________________________________________________________

No comments: